Saturday, March 20, 2010

Qualnet: a useful tool for modelling network scenarios?

This is in continuation of my previous post where I had a query regarding a suitable tool to model network scenarios. A quick check on google got me this one. Qualnet by Scalable Network Technologies seems to be useful tool. The website gives the following details:

"QualNet Developer is ultra high-fidelity network evaluation software that predicts wireless, wired and mixed-platform network and networking device performance. Designed to take full advantage of the multi-threading capabilities of multi-core 64-bit processors, QualNet supports simulation of thousands of network nodes. QualNet Architect Design Mode allows users to set up terrain, network connections, subnets, mobility patterns of wireless users, and other functional parameters of network nodes. Users can create network models by using intuitive, click and drag operations. Users can also customize the protocol stack of any of the nodes and can specify the application layer traffic and services that run on the network"


I think it is a C++ based tool and you need to spend some time reading the user manual and some APIs to model your own project. But I think it is worth a try. My only concern is getting a licensed copy. I hope it is available somewhere in the department. Students are eligible to get 30 days free trial version. But in that case you have to wait till someone from the company contacts you after you register on their website. I am still waiting :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Aditya,

    You should definitely also check out OPNET Modeler, a network modeling and simulation software from OPNET Technologies. Read more here: http://www.opnet.com/solutions/network_rd/modeler.html

    OPNET's University Program distributes software free of cost to qualifying universities and researchers. The key point here is that the software provided to universities is the same full-function software sold commercially. Since you seem to be affiliated with a university, I am confident you would qualify. For details, see http://www.opnet.com/university_program/index.html

    I work at OPNET and would be happy to answer any questions.

    Good luck,
    Akshay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Akshay,

    Thank you so much for the suggestion. I have few questions:
    1) Are the system requirements for this tool too high? Can it run on our regular lab PC (1 GB RAM)?

    2) How long does it take to get the free evaluation version?

    3) How much time does it take to learn how to use the tool?

    Also, can you give me your email id, so I can contact you?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi all,

    As per my recent knowledge and introduction to Qualant (as my one friend tried to use it)

    To design your own model you will have to have commercial license. Linux knowledge is required/helpful, in installing and getting things done with Qualnet.Opnet is better option in case you don't have license. But if your Uni has the license version of Qualnet, it is best thing.

    I am also planing to work on 802.16j. Hope so we will exchange some good information.

    Regards

    Osman

    ReplyDelete